Liquorice tea – Healthy and delicate taste
We love liquorice. It has a naturally sweet flavour and tastes so good. Semper Tea offers a delicious organic herbal tea blend, combining liquorice with mint, lemongrass and apple pieces. The cooling mint, zesty lemongrass, fresh apple pieces and the sweetness of the liquorice make this a yummy refreshing drink. And for these hot summer days a fantastic, refreshing iced beverage.
Iced liquorice tea – a sweet and organic thrill
What is liquorice?
Most of us know liquorice from our childhood as red or black candy rope. What is liquorice and where does it come from? Liquorice is a plant and grows natively in southern Europe and Asia. The roots contain a natural sweetener called glycyrrhizin, which is 30-50 times sweeter than sugar!
A healthy and sweet root
Liquorice is not just well known for its sweetness but has been used for centuries for its medicinal benefits.
Here are some of the benefits of liquorice tea as reported by natural therapists:
- Liquorice tea is digestive and can relieve constipation
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that may ease the pain of arthritis and other inflammatory diseases
- It is known as treatment for low blood pressure
- Liquorice can help to prevent heart disease
- It can help to ease pre-menstrual symptoms
- Liquorice root extract is often used to relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as acid reflux, upset stomach and heartburn
But take care and limit your intake of liquorice to one or two cups per day. A high consumption could be bad for you, particularly if you have a history of heart disease or high blood pressure.
Herbal – the sweet and fruity organic tea blend
Back to our iced tea recipe. We are using the organic liquorice tea called ´herbal´ from Semper Tea – it comes in a biodegradable pyramid tea bag, allowing the premium ingredients to circulate and fully infuse. ¨Herbal¨ tastes delicious and on top of that, it´s caffeine free. So don´t be afraid to enjoy it in the evening, it will not rob you of your sleep.
You can just use the tea pyramids and add the ice, this already would make it a yummy beverage. Optionally you can add mint, oranges and lemon slices for a more fruity note.
Recipe Liquorice iced tea – organic Herbal from Semper Tea
- 4 biodegradable tea pyramids ´Herbal´ organic from Semper Tea
- 1 litre of filtered water
- half a lemon – optional
- half an orange – optional
- a handful of fresh mint leaves – optional
Bring the water to a boil (100 degrees Celsius) and pour it over the tea bags, let them steep for 4- 5 minutes. Remove tea pyramids and set aside to cool. Once cooled, add ice, mint leaves, lemon and orange slices and serve in a jug. Enjoy!
Liquorice is one of those wonderful flavours that complements other spices, herbs and fruits. Breathe in the rich aromas of this caffeine free beverage and enjoy its sweet, fresh and fruity notes.
An absolute pleasure for those hot days and nights where you want to relax, cool down and enjoy an iced cold drink with a smooth sweetness.
Can be interesting for you:
- Ice tea is a hot beverage trend in the hospitality industry
- Best Gin and Tea Cocktails for bars Gin Tonic & Earl Grey
Semper Company Tea & More, S.L.
P. I. Alcalá X, Calle 4 N 6.
41500 Alcalá de Guadaíra.
Seville – Spain
T: +34 954 30 79 36
F: +34 954 30 09 42